6 Days Virunga Classic
6 Days Virunga Classic: Spend 6 days in the Virunga national park with a double gorilla trek and an overnight trek up the Mount Nyiragongo. Get to spend an overnight at the top of the Mount Nyiragongo with the boiling lava in the crater as your view. Also get to visit 2 different gorilla families in the Bukima sector of Virunga.
Highlights of the 6 days Virunga Classic
- Kigali city tour
- 3 nights at Mikeno lodge
- 1 night at Bukima tented camp
- Double mountain gorilla trek
- Overnight Nyiragongo hike
- Senkwekwe gorilla orphanage
- Nature walk/ Village visit
Day 1: Pick up from Kigali to Grande Barrier for check in
- Drive to Mikeno lodge for overnight: You will be expected to be set for pick up from Kigali city latest by 8am. You driver guide will brief you ahead of this tour and you will set out on his 4 hour connecting drive from Kigali to Goma at the Grand barrier building to check in with the Virunga tourism office. You will be given you gorilla trekking and Nyiragongo hike permits that should be presented at the start of the activity per day. Drive to Mikeno lodge after all requirements have been met and arrive in time for a late lunch. You will be welcomed with a refreshing glass of juice and a hot lunch. Check into your room and spend the evening at leisure. Dinner will be served and you will have your first night at the Mikeno lodge.
Day 2: First mountain gorilla trek in Virunga national park
- Mountain gorilla trek in the Bukima sector: Wake up to a fresh breeze of the Virunga national park and connect for your luxurious Mikeno breakfast right before you set out to the park. Drive to Bukima ranger post to meet your ranger guides and the local potters and receive the briefing before the trek. Set out into the forest and search for the mountain gorillas for about 2 hours until you meet one of the gorilla families. Spend the magical one hour with the mountain gorillas as they go about their usual day routine. You must observe and listen to your ranger guides at all times as these are wild animals that may change anytime however much they are habituated. You will have lunch at the Bukima tented camp and spend the rest of the day at the camp in anticipation for the second gorilla trek the next day. Dinner will be served and spend the first and only night at the Bukimaa tented camp.
Day 3: Second mountain gorilla trek in Virunga national park
- Mountain gorilla trek in Virunga national park: Wake up to a fresh breeze of the Virunga national park and have breakfast right before you set out to the park. Drive to Bukima ranger post as the day before to meet your ranger guides and the local potters and receive the briefing before the trek. Set out into the forest and search for the mountain gorillas for about 2 hours until you meet one of the gorilla families. Spend the magical one hour with the mountain gorillas as they go about their usual day routine. You must observe and listen to your ranger guides at all times as these are wild animals that may change anytime however much they are habituated. Have a quick lunch at the Bukima tented camp and drive back to the prestigious Mikeno lodge to spend the afternoon at leisure enjoying the view from the lodge’s terrace or go visit the Senkwekwe gorilla orphanage center. You will have dinner and spend the second night at the Mikeno lodge.
Day 4: Free day
- Nature walk in Virunga NP or village tour: You may spend this day reminiscing on the past days as you relax and prepare for the next 2 tough days. If you are up for a busy day, you may take on a village visit to some of the projects of the local people or take a nature walk in the forest with your ranger guide at all times. You will spend the night at Mikeno lodge as the night before
Day 5: Leave Mikeno lodge for Nyiragongo hike
- Hiking up the Mount Nyiragongo: You will wake up early enough to connect to the beginning of the Mount Nyiragongo trek at the Kibati ranger post. A luxurious breakfast will be served at Mikeno lodge and after join the convoy headed to Kibati. You will hike uphill for approximately 7 hours with a stopover to catch your breath and set out for the second part reaching the summit at around 5 pm. Enjoy the breathtaking view from the top all evening. You will have dinner and retire in the summit shelters at the top. PS: The temperatures can go up to 0 degrees so ensure to carry enough warm clothes and any medications you will need overnight.
Day 6: Descending the Mount Nyiragongo
- Connect back to the trailhead: As early as 6 am, you will wake up for a simple Congolese breakfast as you enjoy the last moments at the top of the mountain. Pack your bags and set out on your descent back to the starting point. You will reach downhill usually by 12 pm and connect to the Goma Grande barrier for drop off or drive all the way to Kigali town according to your arrangement. You will have a Kigali city tour that is complimentary for booking this tour.
- Full time safari vehicle
- English/ French speaking driver and guide
- DRCongo tourist visa
- Accommodation in the Nyiragongo summit shelters
- Fueled safari car
- Double mountain gorilla permit
- Overnight Nyiragongo hike permit
- Nyiragongo back pack including food, water and sleeping bag
- International flights
- Extra accommodation not in the itinerary
- Extra activities not included in the itinerary
- Personal requirements like airtime, laundry, tips