East African tourist visa
The East African Tourist Visa is a legal travel document that grants a traveler/tourist access or multiple entry into the East African countries of Uganda, Rwanda and Kenya. The East African region is one of the top tourist destinations in Africa, with excellent places for wildlife viewing. East Africa is the ideal place for wildlife safaris and gorilla trekking tours.
Although the East African Tourist Visa grants a foreign traveler multi-entry into the three countries (Uganda, Rwanda and Kenya), it automatically expires once the traveler goes outside any of the said countries.
The East African Tourist Visa was introduced in 2014 in Kampala by the Heads-of-State for Uganda, Rwanda and the Republic of Kenya. However in June 2016, the respective countries officially launched the e-Visa. This initiative came at just about the right time, granting foreign travelers easy access to the East African Community countries.
How much is the East African Tourist Visa?
The East African Tourist Visa fee is USD 100 dollars and is valid for 90 days after arrival. However, it is important for visitors to know that the Visa cannot be extended to a further date. Once the validity of your East African visit Visa has expired, you will have to re-apply for the Visa.
How to get/apply for an East African Tourist Visa?
Foreign travelers can apply for an East African Tourist Visa either manually or electronically. Visitors using the e-Visa program must obtain the e-Visa before entering any of the East African Countries of Rwanda, Kenya and Uganda. When applying for the East African Visa, visitors need to fulfill a given set of requirements;
- Applicants need to present a copy of their valid passports. Passports MUST be at least six months valid.
- Applicants MUST present a passport size photo. This photo must not be taken with head scarfs on, glasses, caps/hats nor with a white background.
- The Applicant MUST be travelling to either Uganda, Rwanda or Kenya.
- Applicants need to present an application letter with proof that he/she is able to financially support him/herself for the entire duration of their stay.
- The maximum length of the applicant’s stay in any of the said countries must be 90 days per entry, as the visa is valid for multiple entry.
- Applicants must not be holding another current visa to Uganda, Kenya or Rwanda.
- The applicant must be outside the stated countries at the time of application.
- The East African Tourist Visa cannot be changed to a work visa while the applicant is within the Republic of Rwanda, Uganda or Kenya.
- Applicants are required to print out and carry a copy of this travel document and present it to the immigration officers at the designated points of entry in Uganda, Rwanda or Kenya.
- Applicants must arrive with the same passport with which they applied for the East African e-Visa.
The East African Visa is totally free for the citizens of East African Community Countries i.e. Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda. Visitors applying for the e-Visa through online visa processing companies like iVisa.com, might have to pay an additional service fee of about USD 45 dollars for standard processing, USD 75 for rush processing and USD 110 for super rush processing.
How long does it take to get an East African Tourist Visa?
How long it will take for you to get an East African Visa entirely depends on the processing time that you have chosen. Standard processing time can take about six business days, while rush processing can take about 4 business days and super rush processing takes at most 2 business days. The application process for the East African visit Visa is easier and faster in Rwanda, as you can directly apply for the visa online. However, foreign travelers stating from Uganda or Kenya, will need to apply for the visa online or directly from the nearest consulate/ embassy in your country of residence.
How to apply for the East African Tourist Visa?
Foreign visitors applying for an East African visit Visa need to fill out the Visa application form online or manually. After filling the EATV Form with all the necessary information as required, the applicant can the attach a copy of their valid passport and also a passport size photo. Submit the form online if you are using the e-Visa application system, or physically to the consular office in your country of residence in case you are applying for the visa manually.
With the East African Visa, the tourism industry in Uganda, Kenya and Rwanda has been greatly boosted. Now it is much easier for foreign visitors to travel to any of the tree countries on a single East African Visa, and this has proved to be very efficient and effective for foreign tourists on a wildlife safari and wish to also do gorilla trekking in Rwanda or Uganda.