Travel Guide for Chimpanzee Trekking in Rwanda 2022 : Chimpanzee trekking in Rwanda 2022 should be on top of the list of activities to take part in during your Rwanda safari. The activity is carried out in Nyungwe national park the home to a number of primate 13 primate species where you will have the most rewarding adventure during your primate safaris in Rwanda. For tourists interested in having the most memorable experience in Rwanda, they should consider having the right equipment, know where to get the chimpanzee trekking permits in Rwanda, following the rules and regulation during the activity for the most rewarding adventure in the park and with this travel guide for chimpanzee trekking in Rwanda 2021 you will the most rewarding Rwanda safari.
What involves in chimpanzee trekking in Rwanda
Chimpanzee trekking in Rwanda involves tourists hiking through Nyungwe forest and cyamudongo forests where they will access the habituated chimpanzee troops in the park and this is done after they’ve obtained the chimpanzee trekking permit in Rwanda from the Rwanda development board or from trusted tour operators all over the country at a fee of 90 USD for foreign residents and 60USD for East African citizens in order to take part in the activity. After obtaining your chimpanzee trekking permit you will present it to the receptionist at the park headquarters who will assign you to a knowledgeable guide and ranger that will accompany you to the habituated chimpanzee troops
During your transfer to the chimpanzee troops in Rwanda, you will get to see a number of rewarding attractions like the different bird species like the blue turaco, Ross’s turaco, coqui Francolin, long tailed cisticola, bubbling cisticola, Miombo wren warbler, Chubb’s cisticola primates like for a memorable experience in the park. When you get to the habituated chimpanzee troops, you will get to spend one hour with the chimpanzees observing their behaviour in the wild for instance how they co-exist with one another, their feeding patterns, their reproduction. It should be noted that the female chimpanzees during ovulation can be seen with red swelling on their bottoms that shows they are ready to mate with the males, you will also get to see how the chimpanzees communicate with one another by hooting, slapping the ground and many other interesting features that will make your chimpanzee trekking experience in Rwanda quite memorable.
Rules and regulations to follow
- Avoid feeding the chimpanzees when you come in contact with them because they are highly vulnerable species that can contract any virus in case you feed them food that is infected therefore you are not allowed to eat in the presence of the chimpanzees or feed the chimpanzees to avoid such scenarios.
- Avoid taking pictures using flash mode when you get to the chimpanzees this is because they are aggressive species that are also light sensitive that can easily attack you because they interpret light as a disturbance.
- Avoid littering in the park while taking part in chimpanzee trekking in Rwanda to void putting the chimpanzees at risk of contracting a number of viruses and also choking on the litter.
- Maintain a distance away from the chimpanzees in the park to avoid the species from attacking this is because coming really close to the primates can disrupt their daily activities and this can be quite annoying for them hence attacking you.
- Do not remove your mask when you get in contact with the chimpanzees during your chimpanzee experience in Rwanda this is because of the increase of covid-19 in the world and because the primates are vulnerable species, they can easily contract the virus therefore adhere to leave your mask on to avoid spreading the virus not only to the primates but also to your fellow trackers.
Packing list for chimpanzee trekking
- A camera should not be missed out among the items to carry during chimpanzee trekking because of the fact that there are a number of beautiful memories that can be captured when you visit the habituated chimpanzee troops.
- Carry binoculars because the park is home to over 300 bird species that can be seen while you take part in the different activities in Nyungwe national park chimpanzee trekking inclusive.
- Hiking boots to aid in the ease of hiking through the forests to get to the habituated chimpanzee troops.
- You can also pack insect repellent because the park is home to a number of disease spreading insects that can cause irritation with their bites and also lead you to have an uncomfortable time during the activity in the park.