5 days Nyungwe Chimpanzee Trekking and Kahuzi Biega
5 days Nyungwe Chimpanzee Trekking and Kahuzi Biega: Chimpanzee lovers or researchers, this is the ideal safari when visiting Rwanda as you take off 5 days to be in the homes of the Rwanda chimpanzees and neighboring DRCongo chimpanzees. You will visit the Nyungwe forest and the Lwiro Chimpanzee sanctuary in search of these playful creatures. This safari starts from Kigali to the south side of Rwanda and DRCongo and back to Kigali for drop off.
Trip highlights of the 5 days Nyungwe Chimpanzee Trekking and Kahuzi Biega
- Butare Museum
- King’s Palace visit
- Chimpanzee trekking in Nyungwe forest
- Canopy walk in Nyungwe forest
- Lwiro Chimpanzee sanctuary visit
Day 1: Drive to Nyungwe forest National park
- 5 hour road transfer from Kigali to Nyungwe:Upon your arrival in Rwanda at Kigali International airport, you will get in contact with your driver-guide who will be with the next few days of your safari. Get into your 4WD safari vehicle and set out to the south districts of Rwanda. You will have an enroute visit at the Butare museum where you will also have lunch and connect for the King’s Palace too before you continue to your destination. Arrive in Nyungwe forest in the evening hours in time for check in at the hotel of selected choice. Settle into your room as you wait for dinner to be served and spend your first night in Nyungwe forest.
Hotel options of Nyungwe include;
- Gisakura visitor centre for budget
- Nyungwe top hill view for midrange
- One and only Nyungwe house for luxury
Day 2: Chimpanzee trekking and Canopy walk in Nyungwe forest national park.
- Morning chimpanzee trek: Get to the park headquarters as early as 6am for the briefing before your set out for your chimpanzee trekking in Nyungwe. Enter the forest in search for the chimpanzees whose sounds you will hear from the moment you enter the forest up to when you exit the forest. When you meet the chimpanzees, you will have an hour to observe them and enjoy them swing from one tree branch to another. Get back to you hotel for lunch and cool off a bit before the next day’s activity.
- Afternoon Canopy walk: Get back to the park in time for the 2pm canopy walk in the Nyungwe forest. This canopy bridge is hung up 9 meters from the ground giving you the forest’s view from the top. You will walk the 2 meter bridge which is also a great birding spot also get to see the other primates of the park on a good day. Drive back to the hotel for dinner and the second night in Nyungwe at hotel as night before
Day 3: Drive to Bukavu via Rusizi border
- Road transfer from Nyungwe forest to Bukavu town: After you sumptuous breakfast at your hotel, connect back with your driver guide who will be waiting to drive you to the Rusizi border and guide you through the immigration and connect with our DRCongo representative to take on the next part of the tour. You will drive to your hotel where you will arrive in time for lunch. You may spend the rest of the evening relaxing at you hotel or take on an optional activity up to when it is time for dinner at your hotel. Spend the first night in Bukavu as you anticipate for the next day’s activity.
Day 4: Chimpanzee sanctuary visit in Kahuzi Biega National Park
- Lwiro chimpanzee sanctuary visit: Have breakfast, grab your packed lunch boxes and after connect with your driver guide who will be ready to drive you to the Lwiro chimpanzee sanctuary in Kahuzi Biega national park. This is a full day’s activity so be sure to be well packed for it. You will join the caretakers of the center and work closely with them to see how they run the center. Your driver guide will be waiting to take you back to your hotel for dinner after the visit. Spend the night at the hotel of the night before.
Day 5: Drive 7 hours back to Kigali from Bukavu (DRCongo)
- Road transfer back to Kigali: Wake up and have a heavy breakfast in preparation for the straight road transfer back to Kigali. You will cross back into Rwanda via the Rusizi border and drive through the Nyungwe forest with an enroute lunch. Arrive back into Kigali in the late evening hours for drop off at your hotel or the Kigali International airport in time for your flight out back to your home country or next destination.
End of the 5 days Nyungwe Chimpanzee Trekking and Kahuzi Biega
Trip quote includes:
- Full time fueled safari vehicle
- English/ French speaking driver guide
- Accommodation as indicated above
- Chimpanzee trekking permit
- Lwiro chimpanzee sanctuary visit
- DRCongo tourist visa
- Meals on the safari
- Bottled water
Trip quote excludes:
- Optional activities
- International fares
- Rwanda visa
- Personal needs like airtime, laundry, gratuities, porters, alcohol.