1 Day Kampala City Tour
1 Day Kampala City Tour is conducted within the city of Kampala. Kampala city is the largest metropolitan city in Uganda. It is also the capital city of the Republic of Uganda. The city was originally established on seven hills which include: Mengo, Namirembe, Rubaga, Kololo/Nakasero Hill, Kibuli, Old Kampala and Nsambya hills. It is from these hills that Kampala city is currently referred to as the ‘City of Seven Hills.’ Presently, Kampala city sits on more than seven hills.
There is so much that you can do during your visit to Kampala city, and not to mention there are so many interesting historical and cultural sites to visit during your 1 day tour of Kampala City.
Detailed Itinerary for 1 Day Kampala City Tour.
You will be picked up by our company guide/driver from a preferred pick up location within the city or upon your arrival at Entebbe International Airport. You will then embark on your tour of Kampala city where you will visit places such as;
- Uganda National Museum: Your guide will drive you to the national museum for a brief tour of the museum. Here, you will get a chance to see various displays of artifacts that portray Uganda’s history, culture and traditions.
- Kabaka’s Palace: From the museum, you will transfer to Kabaka’s Palace which is located in Mengo. It is the royal palace of the Buganda Kingdom. According to the Buganda culture, women are not allowed to enter the palace in trousers or short skirts and dresses. However, you can carry along with you a lesu (long cloth that covers your lower body) and wrap yourself.
- Amin’s Torture Chambers: After visiting the Kabaka’s Palace, your guide/driver will then transfer you to Amin’s torture chambers. The torture chambers are one of Uganda’s dark tourism destination sites. The torture chambers were first established as armory of the British colonial government and later used as a prison by Milton Obote, following his rise to power in 1966. Later he was over thrown by Idi Amin Dada in 1971, who later transformed the prison into a horrific torture Chamber.
- Ndeere Cultural Center: You will then proceed to Ndeere center where you will have lunch. You will also watch some cultural dance performances from the popular Ndeere troupe.
- Namugongo Martyrs’ Shrine: After lunch, you will take the northern Bypass road and drive to the martyrs’ shrine in Namugongo. It is a world renowned religious destination that receives many pilgrims every 3rd June. The martyrs’ shrine is a religious and cultural base that tells of the history of how 32 Uganda martyrs gave their lives for their faith.
- Local Markets: From there, your guide/driver will transfer you back to Kampala city center where you will pay a visit to the local markets in the city. Some of the local markets that you could visit include; Nakasero or Owino markets.
- Shopping Malls: You will then spend the rest of the evening shopping. Some of the interesting shopping malls to visit include; Acacia shopping mall in Kamwokya, Kingdom Kampala, Garden City, Forest Mall, and the Craft Village on Buganda road.
Later transfer back to your hotel in Kampala city for dinner and an overnight. This marks the end of your 1 day Kampala city tour. End of Tour.