Kibale forest national park is found in the worth western part if Uganda, the park is renowned for its unique primate species living its forest and is said to be having the highest concentration of primates in the world. The park covers an area of 795 kilometers squared within Kabarole and Kibale districts.

Kibale Forest National Park

77% of Kibale forest national park is forested while the other 23% are grasslands, swamps and other types of vegetation., Kibale forests has got very tall trees of up to 55 meters tall and as old as 200 years. The tree species in Kibale forest are about 352.

Kibale forest national park provides tourists with panoramic views of the tropical rainforests, the  park was established in 1995 the park is connected to the famous queen Elizabeth national park hence habituating some wildlife. There various activities that can be done by tourists at Kibale forest national park some of this can be seen below:

Chimpanzee trekking

Chimpanzee trekking is the main tourists activity at Kibale forest national park, chimpanzees are mans closest relatives sharing about 98% DNA this can be encountered by visiting Kibale forest national park said to be having the highest number of chimpanzees estimated to be about 1,450 living in the forest.

The maximum number of people allowed to track a certain group of habituated chimpanzees is 8, the chimpanzees tracking start every day at 8:00am and at 3:00 am east African time. Tourists can also go for a chimpanzee habitation experience and join researchers in Chimpanzee habituation processthat normally takes about 2 years. Other primates that can be spotted in Kibale forest national park are; black and white Colobus monkeys, blue monkeys, vervet monkeys, red tailed monkeys, olive baboons, grey cheeked mangabeys, potto monkeys, the red colobus and the L’ Hoest monkeys among others.

Wildlife watching

Kibale forest national park is home to over 60 species of mammals, thigh wildlife is occasional you might surely be lucky enough to view animals such as forest elephants, bush pigs, buffalos, bush duikers, lions, leopards, gold pigs, giant hogs, warthogs, marsh mongoose, hippopotamus and so much more.

Guided nature walks

One if the ways to explore the unique Kibale forest national park is by taking guided nature walks, this way you will explore the forest canopy see a lot of  wildlife’s, birds, butterflies and lots of plants species. The bigodi swamp area is the best place to take a guided nature walk.

Bird watching

Kibale forest national park is home to over 375 species of birds, some of the examples of birds in Kibale forest national park are; black capped apalis, collared apalis, blue headed sunbird, purple breasted sunbird, brown  illadopsis, black bee eater, little greenbul, African grey parrot, black capped apalis, crimson wing and western nicator to mention a few.

Visit  Amabere caves

Tourists can hike to the top of the Amabere caves and explore the waterfalls, the legend caves have fascinating ancient stories connected to the caves and tourists can also hike through the three crater lakes, villages a and farmlands with an experienced guide who will tell details of most other things you came across.

Visit Nakayima tree

The Nakayima tree is found on top of a hill with spectacular views of the park, the tree is a traditional worship site for the locals its also known as the witch’s tree and  there’s a lot of history about the tree connecting to the locals.

Cultural experience

Kibale forest is located in an area of two different Bantu tribes the Batoro and the Bakiga. Tourists can visit the locals and learn about the ways of lives get entertained with local traditional dances and also acquire some locally made handcrafts to take home for remembrance.

Discover beautiful butterflies

Kibale forest national park is endowed with over 259 butterfly species. There are also children’s activities in Kibale forest national park, tourists traveling with children below chimpanzees trekking age can have their children busy in activities like photography, pond dipping and batik making.

Kibale forest national park can be visited all hear round but the nest time is during the dry season when the tracking trails are not muddy and slippery from June to September and December to February. Some of the accommodation units where tourist can sleep in while in Kibale forest national park are; Primate lodge, Ndali lodge, Ruwenzori view guest house.

book a safari