2 Days Nyiragongo Hike
2 Days Nyiragongo Hike: This is a short trip highlighting one of the active volcanic mountains in the Democratic Republic of Congo. It is an ideal tour for those with limited time. This tour starts and ends in Goma or Gisenyi town. Get to spend an overnight at the top of the Mount Nyiragongo with the boiling lava in the crater as your view.
Highlights of the 2 Days Nyiragongo Hike
- Overnight stay at Mount Nyiragongo
- Goma city drive-through
- Visit the Virunga tourism offices
Day 1: Check in with the Virunga tourism office
- Hiking up the Mount Nyiragongo: You will wake up early enough to connect to the Goma or Gisenyi meeting point as agreed with our driver guide. This package will require you to be at the Virunga tourism office at the Grande Barrier border building by 7am. Check for your 2 day package and receive your permit that you will have to display at the beginning of the trek at the Kibati ranger post. You will hike Nyiragongo uphill for approximately 7 hours with a stopover to catch your breath and set out for the second part reaching the summit at around 5pm. Enjoy the breathtaking view from the top all evening. You will have dinner and retire in the summit shelters at the top. PS: The temperatures can go up to zero degrees so ensure to carry enough warm clothes and any medications you will need overnight.
Day 2: Descending the Mount Nyiragongo
- Connect back to the trailhead: As early as 6 am, you will wake up for a simple Congolese breakfast as you enjoy the last moments at the top of the mountain. Pack your bags and set out on your descent back to the starting point. You will reach downhill usually by 12pm and connect to the Goma Grande barrier or Gisenyi town according to your arrangement.
End of the 2 Days Nyiragongo Hike
- Full time safari vehicle
- English/ French speaking driver and guide
- DRCongo tourist visa
- Accommodation in the Nyiragongo summit shelters
- Fueled safari car
- Overnight Nyiragongo hike permit
- Nyiragongo backpack including food, water, and sleeping bag
- International flights
- Extra accommodation not in the itinerary
- Extra activities not included in the itinerary
- Personal requirements like airtime, laundry, tips