Entebbe international airport
Entebbe International Airport is the main entry point into Uganda. It is the primary airport that serves the country, and is located in Entebbe town which is one of the metropolitan cities in Uganda. The airport is situated near the shores of Lake Victoria, which is the largest fresh water lake in Africa.
Entebbe International Airport in Uganda is managed by Uganda Civil Aviation Authority. The airport was established by the British colonial government in Uganda and served as a hub for the Imperial Airways back in 1936. The airport was temporarily closed for renovation and maintenance works, and later reopened in 1951.
The airport serves both Entebbe town and Kampala City. Entebbe town experiences tropical climate all year round, with temperatures ranging between 17°C to 27°C. Entebbe international airport is situated approximately 41 kilometers southwest of Kampala City. It also serves as a hub for Eagle Air and the Uganda Airlines, which also happen to be the main airline carriers in the country.
Entebbe International Airport in Uganda lies along the equator at latitude 00 degrees North and longitude 320 degrees East. For this particular reason, the airport has often been regarded as the ‘Airport on the Equator.’
Entebbe international airport has the capacity to handle an estimated number of about 1,840,264 passengers/passenger traffic into the airport. Although the airport is currently undergoing a series of renovation works that are expected to be completed in 2035, most parts of the Entebbe airport are operating and can be accessed by travelers.
The airport’s runway which is 3,658 meters long and can accommodate a fair number of small, medium and large size aircrafts. Entebbe international airport in Uganda has also featured in some Hollywood movies like ‘7 days in Entebbe,’ which tells a story of the 1976 airport hijack where the Air France flight 139 was hijacked by Arab-German terrorists. The hostages on this particular flight were safely rescued by a team or well trained and experienced Israeli militants in a rescue operation called ‘Operation Entebbe.’
First time visitors entering Uganda through Entebbe International Airport are welcomed by the beautiful and stunning scenery of Lake Victoria as one lands at the airport. Visitors can also have a clear view of the airport’s runway and Entebbe town, from a bird’s eye view, prior to your landing.
Uganda Airlines in the national carrier of Uganda and its headquarters based at Entebbe international airport. The airline company offers travelers direct flights to countries such as; Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, and Tanzania.
Travelers using Eagle Air when flying to Uganda should know that the airline company only operates regional scheduled charter flights and services across East and Central Africa. The airline company also has its second base at Arua Airport which is located in the northern part of the country. Therefore, it goes without saying that travelers who wish to travel to any of the tourism destinations in the country, should use Eagle Air as the best option for domestic travel in Uganda.
Currently, there are 16 international Airlines with scheduled flights to and from Entebbe International Airport and serve 14 destinations with flights to the rest of the world.
International Airlines serving Entebbe International Airport.
International Passenger Airlines operating scheduled flights to Entebbe Airport include; Delta Airlines, Air Tanzania, Cetraca Aviation Service, British Airways, Airlink, Brussels Airlines, Egypt Air, Emirates, Ethiopian Airlines, Fly Dubai, Precision Air, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Kenya Airways, Qatar Airways, TMK Air Commuter, Rwanda Air, Jambojet, Fly-SAX, Turkish Airlines and Sudan Airways.
Facilities that travelers can access at Entebbe International Airport.
Travelers can access a number of services while at Entebbe International Airport such as; fully functional automated teller machines, duty-free shops, restaurants, banks, a left-luggage office and forex bureau.
Important information that any traveler should know when travelling to Uganda.
Visitors should note the following when planning to book your air tickets for flights to Uganda;
- In case visitors wish to fly to destinations within Uganda, it is advisable to use Areolink or Eagle Air as your domestic flight options.
- Eagle Air has scheduled and charter flights to Apoka, Pakuba in Murchison Falls National Park, Ishasha and Mweya in Queen Elizabeth National Park, Kasese district, Kisoro district, Semiliki near Semliki National Park, Soroti district, Arua and Yei districts in Uganda.
- Aerolink Uganda has scheduled flights to Masai Mara in Kenya, Kisumu, Bugungu, Chobe, Kasese, Kidepo Valley National Park, Kihihi, Kisoro, Mweya, Pakuba and Semliki. Do contact your trusted tour operator in case of any inquires and also get the best deals for your Uganda Safari.
- Brussels Airlines has inbound flights from Brussels to Entebbe with a stopover in Kigali, Rwanda.
- KLM also has some inbound flights from Amsterdam to Entebbe with a stopover in Kigali. It is important that you check with your travel agent in case you wish to board a direct flight to Entebbe Airport.
- Visitors using Turkish Airlines can board inbound flights from Istanbul in Turkey to Entebbe Airport with a stop in Kigali International Airport, Rwanda.
Requirements for entry in Entebbe International Airport.
It is important for visitors travelling to Entebbe Airport to take note of the following MUST haves in order to be granted access into Uganda.
- A valid Uganda Tourist Visa which you can acquire for 50 USD, valid for 30 days. Alternatively, you can apply for an East African Tourist Visa at a fee of 100 USD, which is valid for 90 days and will grant you multiple entry into Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda.
- A valid passport (Must be at least 6 months valid).
- Medical Insurance and endeavor to make sure that your medical insurance plan provides coverage overseas.
- A valid yellow fever card
Transportation from Entebbe International Airport.
There are plenty of airport taxis stationed outside the arrival terminals of Entebbe Airport and visitors can hire these taxis to transport you to your hotels in Entebbe or Kampala City. The taxis have fully operating meters, so you don’t have to worry about being cheated when paying your fare.
Visitors travelling to Uganda should compare the prices of air tickets for different airlines companies operating in your home country with Entebbe Uganda as one of their destinations. In case you are travelling on a tight/fixed budget, you might want to consider booking with an airline that is offering cheaper flight tickets to Uganda.